Gas mains upgrade on A505 in Letchworth to take three months
- Credit: Archant
Letchworth is set for three months of roadworks on the A505 with a major gas mains upgrade starting yesterday.
More than 1,100 metres of gas mains with plastic pipe will be renewed on the A505 Baldock Road in a move that will secure local gas supplies for decades to come, according to National Grid who are responsible for the work.
There will be temporary two-way traffic lights operating on Baldock Road between Willian Way and Letchworth Gate while the work is carried out, but access will be available for residents and businesses in the affected areas at all times.
Some gas service pipes are being replaced and engineers will need access to them, which will involve a brief interruption of the gas supply. Those affected will be given advance notice by National Grid.
National Grid authorising engineer Dilbir Chana said: “It’s our job to connect people to the energy they use and these new gas mains will help ensure Letchworth continues to enjoy a safe and reliable gas supply. It will be a short term inconvenience for long term benefit.”
You may also want to watch:
The existing metal mains are being replaced with new long-lasting plastic pipes that have a lifespan of 80 years if left undisturbed in the ground.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 6 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 7 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 8 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 9 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 10 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds