Gas leak in Stevenage after Almonds Lane wall fire
- Credit: Google Earth
A cordon was put in place throughout a Stevenage residential area following a house fire and gas leak.
Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue crews from Stevenage, Baldock, Hitchin and Letchworth extinguished a fire affecting an external wall at a house in Almonds Lane at around 2pm today (Friday, June 17).
They used two hose reels and one jet to tackle to extinguish the wall and nearby garden furniture, but the gas board suspected there may be a leak as a result of the blaze.
"A gas engineer arrived on the scene at 2.47pm," a fire service spokesperson said.
Police introduced the cordon after the fire.
A Hertfordshire Constabulary statement reads: "We are currently assisting the fire service at the scene of an incident in Almonds Lane, Stevenage, which has subsequently led to a gas leak.
"A cordon is in place as a precaution and specialist engineers are on route.
- 1 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 2 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 3 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 4 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 5 Permanent parking loss if outdoor seating plans approved
- 6 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 7 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 8 Stevenage school in 'area of huge deprivation' wins national award
- 9 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 10 Hertfordshire businesses honoured in Muddy Stilettos Awards 2022
"People are asked to please avoid the area at this time."