Garden House Hospice launch nighttime walk
- Credit: Archant
A CHARITY which supports people in their last days has launched an appeal for people to take part in an annual fundraising event.
The Garden House Hospice team in Letchworth GC has launched this year’s Starlight Walk and for the first time is welcoming men to take part.
Since the first ladies-only walk in 2009, the hospice has had more and more requests from men wishing to take part in memory of a loved one, and also from younger family members wanting to join in.
This year’s walk on September 7 will have a new start time of 10pm and a new minimum age of 14 years, with under 16s accompanied by an adult walker.
There will be the option of walking six or 10 miles.
Jo Wiffen, community fundraiser for the hospice, said: “As always the emphasis will be on raising as much money as possible to maintain the care services at Garden House, alongside making sure the fifth anniversary of this special event is also a fun evening.
“So ladies, invite the men in your life to join in or ask friends to make up a team with a theme and come along in fancy dress.
- 1 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 2 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 3 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 4 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 5 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 6 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 7 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 8 Avid quizmaster raising funds for rape and sexual assault support service
- 9 Stevenage woman, 52, accused of wounding 91-year-old in her own home
- 10 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
“We also need gentlemen to help as marshals, so if you would like to be involved we would be delighted to hear from you.”
The registration fee is £15, with an early bird discount offer of £10 for entries submitted by July 26. Register online at www.ghhospice.co.uk or contact the Garden House fundraising office on 01462 679540.