Garden City Collection calls for pictures of all Barry Parker homes in Letchworth
- Credit: Archant
The Garden City Collection is putting together an exhibition of the works of Barry Parker and needs the help of residents living in a home designed by the Letchworth architect.
The team is creating a comprehensive record of Parker’s Letchworth roots by compiling a series of images showing the interior and exterior of Parker houses in Letchworth as they are today.
These photos will form part of an exhibition to celebrate his life and works, opening on May 4 at the Broadway Gallery.
They are looking for photos of your house or a favourite feature such as door latches, fireplaces, doors or perhaps original Parker furniture.
Curator of the Garden City Collection Vicky Axell said: “If you live in a house designed by Parker, whether it’s a small cottage or larger detached house, we want to hear.
“We believe Parker was an unsung hero of the arts & crafts movement and want to use this exhibition to show his influence across the UK and around the world, including Portugal and Brazil.
“Our photographer is happy to come to people’s houses to take new photos or we are happy to use photos taken by residents. All images collected will be displayed at the exhibition. It’s a fantastic way for the local community to be part of this special exhibition.”
- 1 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 2 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 3 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 4 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 5 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 6 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 7 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 8 Stevenage woman, 52, accused of wounding 91-year-old in her own home
- 9 Avid quizmaster raising funds for rape and sexual assault support service
- 10 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
Parker – along with his business partner Raymond Unwin – created the template for the Garden Cities model.
He believed passionately that architecture and thoughtful planning of community spaces could change lives - Letchworth was his masterpiece and his home for more than 40 years.
The exhibition will showcase a selection of the 4,500 historical objects from the Parker Collection. Visitors will be able to see architectural plans and drawings from both the UK and abroad, including early checkerboard street plans which allowed gardens on three sides of the house improving space and light, and plans for Oporto in Portugal sharing many characteristics with Letchworth.
To submit your photos or arrange for our photographer to come to your home, contact the Garden City Collection on 01462 476075 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.