Garage linked to card fraud
HOUSEWIFE Vicky Carlton got a shock when her credit card was rejected and was told she had just spent over £1,300 in Malaysia. Money had been taken out of my bank account thousands of miles away when in fact I was shopping at Tesco s in Baldock at the ti
HOUSEWIFE Vicky Carlton got a shock when her credit card was rejected and was told she had just spent over £1,300 in Malaysia.
"Money had been taken out of my bank account thousands of miles away when in fact I was shopping at Tesco's in Baldock at the time," said Mrs Carlton, who lives on the base at RAF Henlow with her husband and three children.
"I've never been to Malaysia in my life so somewhere my credit card had been cloned."
Mrs Carlton believes the trouble started after she had gone to the Jet Garage in Lower Stondon and bought £20 worth of petrol with her credit card on June 6.
The following week police received reports of another 10 cases of credit card fraud after people bought fuel at the same service station.
"You read about these things happening to other people but never think it will happen to you," added Mrs Carlton, who works at the Benslow Music Trust in Hitchin.
- 1 11-year-old left with facial injuries after Stevenage dog attack
- 2 Ashbottom Close 'altercation' leaves man in his 20s with serious injuries
- 3 Hertfordshire under Met Office yellow warning for storms
- 4 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 5 Red panda Tilly gives birth to ‘miracle’ cub at Paradise Wildlife Park one month after passing of partner Nam Pang
- 6 Ford Focus and Vauxhall Insignia crash on A602 Stevenage Road
- 7 'Hitchin is the only place I've felt accepted'
- 8 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 9 Village football club premises gets facelift thanks to bank staff
- 10 Wire damage disrupts Great Northern trains between Hitchin and Peterborough
"I was horrified when I found out there had been 10 transactions on my account and all in Malaysia. A friend of mine from Langford was also a victim at the garage.
"I just hope the police find out how my credit card details were cloned and ended up in Malaysia."
Bedfordshire police confirmed they had received a number of complaints from people who had used credit cards at the same garage as Mrs Carlton and were carrying out an investigation.
A member of staff at the Jet Garage said the business was under new management from last week and they would be co-operating with police in their investigation.