Garage linked to card fraud
HOUSEWIFE Vicky Carlton got a shock when her credit card was rejected and was told she had just spent over £1,300 in Malaysia. Money had been taken out of my bank account thousands of miles away when in fact I was shopping at Tesco s in Baldock at the ti
HOUSEWIFE Vicky Carlton got a shock when her credit card was rejected and was told she had just spent over £1,300 in Malaysia.
"Money had been taken out of my bank account thousands of miles away when in fact I was shopping at Tesco's in Baldock at the time," said Mrs Carlton, who lives on the base at RAF Henlow with her husband and three children.
"I've never been to Malaysia in my life so somewhere my credit card had been cloned."
Mrs Carlton believes the trouble started after she had gone to the Jet Garage in Lower Stondon and bought £20 worth of petrol with her credit card on June 6.
You may also want to watch:
The following week police received reports of another 10 cases of credit card fraud after people bought fuel at the same service station.
"You read about these things happening to other people but never think it will happen to you," added Mrs Carlton, who works at the Benslow Music Trust in Hitchin.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 9 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 10 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
"I was horrified when I found out there had been 10 transactions on my account and all in Malaysia. A friend of mine from Langford was also a victim at the garage.
"I just hope the police find out how my credit card details were cloned and ended up in Malaysia."
Bedfordshire police confirmed they had received a number of complaints from people who had used credit cards at the same garage as Mrs Carlton and were carrying out an investigation.
A member of staff at the Jet Garage said the business was under new management from last week and they would be co-operating with police in their investigation.