GALLERY: Thousands turn out for Letchworth Classic Car Show
THOUSANDS of people descended on a town centre at the weekend for a classic car show which featured a Maserati driven by a Formula One five-time champion.
Joining Juan Manuel Fangio’s Maserati 250F, which he drove during the 1954 championship winning season, for Saturday’s show in Letchworth GC were 23 other classic vehicles including The Who’s Magic Bus and a 1957 Police Humber.
Organised by the Letchworth Town Centre Partnership and the Letchworth Garden City Classic and Vintage Car Club, the event took place in Leys Square between 10am and 3pm.
Commenting on the day, Letchworth Town Centre Partnership’s Di Atkins, chief organiser for the event, said: “It was a wonderful day in Letchworth Town Centre - Leys Square was filled with cars that most people only dream about owning, from Fangio’s Maserati to the more humble but very enviable 1936 Austin Ruby 7.
“Thanks go to the Letchworth classic car club members who turned out with their vehicles and also many other car owners who also came along. The Who’s Magic Bus was popular with of course the associated music but the highlight for many was probably the sound of the Maserati being fired up on the hour, every hour, resonating throughout the town.”
*For a gallery of photos click on the link at the top right of the page.
- 1 More than 80 vacancies up for grabs at Stevenage Airbus
- 2 Stevenage Iceland to permanently close today
- 3 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 4 Airbus: Stevenage's out of this world impact on space missions over seven decades
- 5 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 6 Woman sentenced after Aldi bottle smashing spree
- 7 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 8 A brief history of Fairfield: One of Bedfordshire's newest towns
- 9 Our Bedfordshire villages: 'Rural reporting has been my greatest pleasure'
- 10 Positives and progress continue at Hartlepool with Tisdale happy with Boro's point