Gallery: The Rhythms of the World returns to Hitchin
THOUSANDS of people descended on Hitchin last weekend for one of the biggest world music festivals.
Held at Hitchin Priory, The Rhythms of the World festival took place on Saturday, July 24, to Sunday, July 25, as glorious sunshine greeted 30,000 punters who joined in the UK’s largest celebration of world music, dance and art.
More than 150 acts graced the six different stages, with 17 Hippies, The October Game, My Passion and Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly among the highlights.
Now in its 18th year, the festival, run solely by volunteers, also provided a host of activities for the crowds to enjoy, as well as displays and world cuisine.
Gill Hannington, chairman of the Trustees, said: “This year’s Rhythms of the World was fantastic and that’s thanks to everyone who was involved.
You may also want to watch:
“Our volunteers, sponsors, artists, and particularly the Chartridge Conference Company for once again donating the beautiful grounds of the Hitchin Priory. We are thankful to everyone who contributed.”
“And of course thank you to the festival-going public who made this a great weekend.”
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 4 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 5 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 6 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 7 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 8 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 9 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
Next year’s Rhythms of the World will take place on Saturday, July 9, and Sunday, July 10, 2011.
For a gallery of photos from this year’s event, click on the link top right.
*To purchase photos click on the link above the gallery.