GALLERY: Roads blocked by trees and flooding as Comet country is battered by UK storm
- Credit: Archant
Comet country was battered by severe storms last night (Monday) causing roads to flood and widespread disruption for those travelling today.
Among the flooded roads is the A602 between Stevenage and Watton-at-Stone, which was closed in both directions this morning although drivers are now able to head out of Stevenage.
Walkern Road and Bennington Road near Bennington has also been closed due to flooding.
In Stevenage, police were called to a tree blocking the road on Broadhall Way at 1.21am but the obstruction had been cleared by 1.30am.
On Watton Road one vehicle also became stuck in 2ft high floods. Police were called to the scene at 7.15am and had recovered the car by 8am.
You may also want to watch:
A crew also attended an incident at Broadwater Lane, Aston, after a large branch fell in the road, blocking the junction to Dene Lane. The road had been cleared by 3.42am.
In Hitchin, police were called to a tree blocking Purwell Lane at 2.19am. The obstruction was cleared by 2.30am.
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 4 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 5 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 6 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 7 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 8 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 9 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 10 Misogyny as a hate crime 'would get us nowhere'
Three trees were also reported to have fallen down in Wymondley Road at 2am and at 2.51am there were reports of debris in Bedford Road.
Yesterday afternoon a tree in the grounds of Hitchin Priory on Tilehouse Street came down due to a gust of wind, while another fell in the Biggin Lane car park.
At 11.25pm in nearby Whitwell, a tree was partially blocking Hitchin Road, while in Hexton Road, Hexton, at 1.17am a large tree was blocking the road.
Another tree was also reported at 8.10am to have fallen in Heath Lane, Codicote, blocking half of the road.
In the village of Willian near Letchworth GC, Willian Road was reported as flooded at 7.30am near to Willian Pond.
Public transport has also been affected. Train operator First Capital Connect is advising commuters to check services before they travel today, advising people to travel only if their journey is necessary.
On its website the train operator also said the company’s journey planner isn’t accurate due to a technical fault and is advising customers to check National Rail Enquiries and departure boards at stations, which are accurate.