Gallery: Record Crowds gather for 25th Annual Model Railway Exhibition
RECORD-breaking crowds attended the Letchworth Model Railway Society s 25th Annual Model Railway Exhibition at Etonbury Middle School on Saturday. Over 1,000 people viewed 22 rail layouts depicting scenes from South Africa, Denmark, Switzerland, Germany,
RECORD-breaking crowds attended the Letchworth Model Railway Society's 25th Annual Model Railway Exhibition at Etonbury Middle School on Saturday.
Over 1,000 people viewed 22 rail layouts depicting scenes from South Africa, Denmark, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Italy and the USA as well as many landscapes from the UK.
The layouts were built in scales from O to Z (one of the smallest modelling scales). Among the exhibits were three breweries, but without the appropriate licences, they remained dry for visitors. Modelling techniques demonstrated how easy it is to create your own layout and scenery.
Visitors nominated the Whitsend Tramway as the Best in Show layout. Inspired by the buildings and villages of the North Yorkshire coast it was created in fine detail by modellers Graham and Caroline Watling. The event raised �2,500 in support of a much needed overhaul for the recently preserved Battle of Britain steam locomotive 92 Squadron.
You may also want to watch:
The Letchworth exhibition is considered to be among the top events in the railway modelling calendar and continues to go from strength to strength.
Letchworth Model Railway Society is already in the advanced stages of planning its 2010 exhibition on November 27. Full details will be available on the www.letchworthmodelrailwaysociety.com web site.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 7 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Developers confirm controversial plans for Hitchin flats to go to appeal