GALLERY: Hitchin light switch-on ‘busiest’ ever
CHRISTMAS is on its way to Hitchin, with the town lighting up at its annual lights switch-on on Friday.
The event saw activities in the town from 4pm with the big switch-on at 6pm.
The switch was flicked by Jerry Spencer, who was chosen on the day in an X Factor-style elimination from 10 finalists who had all entered a raffle, and Heart FM breakfast presenter Stuart Miles.
As well as food and drink stalls, The Christmas Belles and Covenant Praise Church Gospel Choir performed sets and there were activities on offer for children.
Actor David Prowse, who is best known for playing Darth Vader in Star Wars, also appeared in Waterstone’s signing copies of his latest book.
You may also want to watch:
Town centre manager Keith Hoskins said: “It was brilliant. It was probably, I think, our busiest lights switch-on, which was amazing.
“Waterstone’s was really busy with the book signing. He [David Prowse] started signing early because so many people were waiting.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 10 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
“It was a really good turnout, the weather was lovely. The food and drink stalls sold out, the mulled wine and cider all went.
“The Christmas Belles were really good, and the Covenant Praise Church Choir afterwards got everybody in the mood.”
Click on the link in the top-right hand corner to view our gallery.