Gallery: Flipping heck! Hitchin and Stevenage pancake racing
HORDES of people took to Hitchin and Stevenage today (Tuesday), to put their pancake racing skills to the test in what were two flippin’ exciting contests.
It was Hitchin’s turn first, and 50 runners from local businesses set off from Hitchin High Street into the Market Place, armed with their frying pans to compete for the highly coveted 2011 trophy.
Peter Chapman of Top Marques triumphed in the men’s race, Hannah Koschielny of Talent Hairdressers won the women’s event and Jonathan Fiducia came in for Belvoir in the estate agents category.
Stephen Hepworth received an accolade for his monk costume, as did one Hitchin Market employee for her fruit and vegetable costume.
Organised by Hitchin Priory Rotary Club, the proceeds from the race are to go to Letchworth GC charity Garden House Hospice.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve never seen such a crowd in the market square before,” said Hitchin Priory Rotary Club’s Robert Girvan.
“It was lovely weather and a really good turn out, so we’re very pleased with it.”
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 3 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 6 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 7 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 8 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 9 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 10 Misogyny as a hate crime 'would get us nowhere'
Later in the day, Stevenage held a similar event where 90 school pupils from Camps Hill, St Vincent De Paul and Lodge Farm, met at the town centre gardens to try and get themselves, and their pancakes, across the finishing line first.
But it was the cheerleaders from Camps Hill who flipped their way to victory and triumphed over their rivals.
- Check back tomorrow for a gallery of pictures from both events.