GALLERY: Comet country comes together for The Big Lunch
- Credit: Archant
THOUSANDS of people in Comet country came together to enjoy a huge feast as part of The Big Lunch – a nationwide initiative inviting communities to sit down together for food.
People in Hitchin, Letchworth GC, Baldock and Stevenage joined their neighbours, friends and communities to enjoy an afternoon of food and live entertainment on Sunday.
In Letchworth GC, about 1,000 people came together in Howard Park for the Picnic in the Park event, which was ran by the Rotary Club of Letchworth Garden City.
And Lancaster Community Group in Hitchin held their event for the first time across Lancaster Road and Lancaster Avenue.
Gail Adcock, a committee member of the group, labelled it “a full blown street party”.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “The event was enjoyed by hundreds of people who came out and celebrated together.”
For the fourth year running in Baldock, the High Street attracted 200 people, who faced the choice of a fish and chip supper, a traditional roast dinner, barbecue or an Indian meal.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 3 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 4 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 7 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 10 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
Meanwhile, residents around Stevenage Old Town enjoyed their first ever community big lunch with more than 250 people descending on Letchmore Road Playing Fields for an afternoon of picnicking, entertainment and fun.
The day was organised by Bunyan Baptist Church in Basils Road, which put on a range of fun activities, as well as drinks and homemade cakes, all for free.
For a gallery of pictures click on the top right hand corner.