GALLERY and VIDEO: Thousands turn out in Letchworth for Olympic Torch Relay
THOUSANDS of people lined the streets in Letchworth GC today (Sunday) to watch the Olympic Torch Relay.
Nine torchbearers - including Celia Watson from Hitchin and Baldock resident John Harris - carried the flame through the town.
Crowds braved the rain to watch the torch make its way from Norton Road to Pixmore Way via the town centre.
There was also entertainment in Eastcheap prior to its arrival with the fun continuing in Howard Park and Gardens afterwards.
Natasha Daily travelled from Hitchin with her two children Ruby-Pearl and Emily-Rose to see the torch.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “I thought it was brilliant. It was an amazing event and it’s great that my children have experienced it.”
Kevin Watters came with his family from Potton for the day.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
He said: “Because we used to live in Letchworth we wanted to see it in a place we’re linked to. It’s been a long wait but I think it’s worth it.”
*Click on the link at the top-right of the page to view a gallery of photos.