FULL REPORT: Paul Gascoigne fined £1,000 for attacking Stevenage train guard

Paul Gascoigne leaving Stevenage Magistrates' Court

Paul Gascoigne leaving Stevenage Magistrates' Court - Credit: Archant

FORMER England footballer Paul Gascoigne has been fined £1,000 today (Monday) after he admitted grabbing hold of a train guard by the neck while drunk at Stevenage Railway Station.

Police officers help Paul Gascoigne into a Porsche as photographers surround the car

Police officers help Paul Gascoigne into a Porsche as photographers surround the car - Credit: Archant

Gascoigne pleaded guilty to assaulting guard Jack Sherrington after he got off at the station on July 4, and another charge of being drunk and disorderly in a public place.

Prosecutor Elaine McMillan told Stevenage magistrates that Mr Sherrington had been trying to help the ex-Newcastle United and Spurs midfielder as he was “having difficulty standing and was staggering towards the track.”

The guard tried to help Gascoigne into a wheelchair but the prosecutor said he was subject to verbal abuse and repeated swearing.

Ms McMillan said: “He ended up grabbing hold of Mr Sherrington to the neck. He said his shirt was held tightly towards his throat. That lasted a few seconds before Mr Sherrington was able to restrain him.”

Mr Sherrington was uninjured but Ms McMillan told magistrates “he should not be assaulted while going about his duty”.

Gascoigne was subsequently arrested by Hertfordshire Constabulary and held in a cell overnight.

Most Read

Another assault charge concerning Gascoigne’s wife Sheryl was dropped at the start of proceedings, although the prosecution said Mrs Gascoigne and her 17-year-old son were “extremely upset” after being contacted about the incident.

Gascoigne’s lawyer Gavin Harris said the 46-year-old had been travelling back from Newcastle to London King’s Cross after seeing his father who was “seriously ill”, and that Gascoigne had also been suffering from the effects of a hip operation.

“The incident lasted no more than a couple of seconds and Mr Gascoigne was remorseful and apologetic for his actions,” said Mr Harris.

He added that he had only “a small amount of alcohol” but it had had a greater effect as he “had not drunk alcohol in a long time”.

A letter from an alcohol rehabilitation centre was shown to magistrates describing Gascoigne’s “superb progress” with its alcohol treatment programme and its commitment to continue supporting him.

Sentencing Gascoigne, who spoke only to admit his guilt and confirm his name, age and his home address in Gateshead, chairman of the bench Carolyn Marsh described the incident as a “serious matter” and said Mr Sherrington was “trying to help”.

Ms Marsh fined Gascoigne, who was capped for England 57 times, £600 for common assault by beating and £400 for being drunk and disorderly in a public place.

He was ordered to pay a further £145 in courts costs and £100 in compensation to Mr Sherrington.

Leaving the court at around 11.10am, Gascoigne declined to comment as he made his way through a media scrum and into a Porsche car.

After his client’s exit, Mr Harris said: “Mr Gascoigne has asked me to say he wants to publicly apologise for his actions that evening.”

He asked the press to respect his privacy while he continues his recovery from alcoholism.