Frustrated motorist slams A600 Hitchin traffic delays as shambolic and scandalous

Cones lined up along the A600 near Lower Stondon. Picture: Danny Loo

Cones lined up along the A600 near Lower Stondon. Picture: Danny Loo - Credit: Archant

Drivers forced to deal with months of misery have hit out at ‘scandalous, shoddy and shambolic’ delays caused by temporary traffic lights on a busy road into Hitchin.

Peter Dodson is fed up with the lack of progress being made in the roadworks along the A600 after se

Peter Dodson is fed up with the lack of progress being made in the roadworks along the A600 after seeing his daily commute times doubled. Picture: Danny Loo - Credit: Archant

Motorists have been venting their frustration and derision at the lengthy delays on the A600 since early March – with the prospect of further torment to come.

The traffic jams – which have led to delays of more than half an hour at peak times – have been caused as contractors for Herts County Council have carried out work to the pavement alongside the main road.

However, many drivers have complained not much has happened since the initial work began eight weeks ago, leaving thousands of motorists hot under the bonnet this spring – with more disruption to come through the resurfacing of the road, and work on building a crematorium nearby due to start later this year after a public consultation period ends on May 12.

Peter Dodson, who uses the road every day, said: “It’s bad project management. It’s utterly shambolic.


You may also want to watch:


“It’s been hugely frustrating for a large number of drivers who have had to endure delays of half an hour and more on the drive into Hitchin every day.

“They even managed to get the timings wrong on the traffic lights. It’s a shoddy job that’s massively inconvenienced a huge number of motorists for not much end result – with the prospect of more disruption to come. To have no end date is scandalous considering the amount of hassle they’ve caused so many people so far.”

Most Read

On Tuesday morning, the road was open in both directions for the first time in two months, after contractors removed the traffic lights in what appears to be a short-term measure.

Rob Smith from Herts County Council told the Comet: ”Unfortunately problems have arisen with the gas connection for the site, preventing the work taking place.

“The problems have been resolved and work will resume. We apologise for any inconvenience.

“We’re working with the contractors to minimise disruption, insisting they need to manually control the lights, and made them aware of differing traffic flows to help prevent one-way traffic.”

A county council spokesman added: “Works will not be completed by Friday’s scheduled date.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter