Friends of the Earth joins Luton Airport campaign
ANOTHER group has added its name in support of the Comet’s campaign against the expansion of Luton Airport.
North Herts and Stevenage Friends of the Earth is backing our campaign in a bid to ensure Comet country has its say on the proposed Luton Airport expansion.
The group objects to proposals from airport operators London Luton Airport Operations Ltd (LLAOL) as well as the proposals from the owners, London Luton Airport Ltd (LLAL).
Members say that the increase in CO2 emissions would be detrimental to the environment and that there would be an increased impact on infrastructure and roads.
Sharon Eckman, media representative for the group, told the Comet: “There are some astonishing statistics which they (LLAL) won’t mention. For every one million passengers, there are 750,000 return car journeys, and then there’s the journeys for the airport workers, although there would not be as many of those as they claimed. Forecasting 16,000 extra employees is absolute rubbish.
You may also want to watch:
“Then, they are not considering how difficult it already is to get to Luton Airport in the first place. Not everyone uses the M1. It is so short sighted.
“They are going to have to build roads, because they aren’t capable at the moment. The A505 suddenly drops down to 30mph, and then there are lots of roundabouts which are already congested even during off-peak times.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 3 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 4 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 5 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 6 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 7 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 8 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 9 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 10 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
“They are not considering the effect long term. There’s not been any thought put in to this.”
LLAL, which wants to increase the number of people using Luton Airport to 18m passengers a year, has already held a public consultation and will submit a planning application next month.
LLAOL’s public consultation is still running, and we want Comet country to make its views known. The company wants 16m passengers to use the airport annually, an increase of several million.
To respond to the consultation and see more on the plans, visit www.london-luton.co.uk/masterplan, email email@example.com or post your thoughts to Project LLA Consultation, London Luton Airport Operations Limited, Navigation House, Airport Way, Luton, Beds, LU2 9LY.
The Comet also wants to continue to hear your views, so email firstname.lastname@example.org or text TC VIEWS followed by your comment and name to 80058. Texts cost 25p plus your standard network rate.
• To view all stories in our campaign, click on the link in the top right-hand corner.