Friends Life Women’s Tour 2015 stage finish to be held in Stevenage
- Credit: Archant
Some of cycling’s biggest stars will be visiting Stevenage this summer for the Friends Life Women’s Tour, which sees one of the stages finish in the town.
Stage Four on June 20 will end in Stevenage after riders have pedalled through Waltham Cross and Broxbourne.
Last year the inaugural race – featuring world number one Marianne Vos and British stars Laura Trott and Lizzie Armitstead – went through Baldock and Letchworth on the way to Welwyn Garden City, which also hosted Stage Four.
Stevenage Borough Council leader Sharon Taylor said: “Stevenage, the UK’s first new town, has an incredible sporting heritage and, with more than 45km of cycle track, is one of the country’s best towns for cycling. So it is fitting that we are set to host this exciting event.
“I look forward to joining fellow Stevenage residents and local sporting groups in welcoming the cyclists.”
You may also want to watch:
Race director Mick Bennett said: “Last year’s stage through Hertfordshire saw some of the biggest crowds of the entire race and an exciting route, so we are pleased to be able to return.
“We are working with both our partners in Broxbourne and Stevenage to create another exciting stage.”
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
The second Friends Life Women’s Tour takes place from June 17 to June 21 with Stage Four starting in Waltham Cross.
There will be five stages in total with daily highlights on ITV4. Suffolk will host the opening leg of the race, which will head from Bury St Edmunds to Aldeburgh on the coast.