Freeman edges closer to double figures for the season
- Credit: Archant
Stevenage winger has one game left this season to reach 10 goals - but won’t be drawn on whether it will be his last match for the club
Luke Freeman says it was good to score in front of the Stevenage’s fans in the last home game of the season - but the winger would not be drawn on whether it would be his last home match for the club.
The former Arsenal man scored the winning goal to make it 3-2 against Walsall with just under 10 minutes to go of today’s game, and afterwards said he is only concentrating on next week’s match away to Brentford - not his future.
Last week manager Graham Westley said he suspects Freeman ‘won’t be [at Stevenage next season], I suspect the football club will cash in and I’m sure there’ll be a bidding war’.
Speaking after today’s game, Freeman said: “I’m not concentrating on [whether it was the last game] at the moment; I just want to concentrate on the game next week and that’s the main thing, getting three points then.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s important to score in the last home game of the season. I wasn’t looking at it any other way. It’s the last home game of the season and it’s good to win and good to score.
“It puts me up to eight for this season. The target was 10. Last week I scored a free-kick, this week I scored a tap-in.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 4 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
“I need to get two more goals and I’d have reached my target.
“Last year I scored two goals, maybe even one. I didn’t really play a lot and this year I’ve played pretty much every game and scored a lot more goals than I had last year. I’ve improved personally but as a team it’s been tough. But I’m sure next year will be a different story.”