Free fish and chip supper for elderly residents after fire at sheltered home
RESIDENTS at a sheltered home for the elderly were enjoying a free fish and chip supper tonight with compliments of their landlord Howard Cottage Housing Association. The Association came to the support of residents at Edwin Nott House in Birds Hill, Letc
RESIDENTS at a sheltered home for the elderly were enjoying a free fish and chip supper tonight with compliments of their landlord Howard Cottage Housing Association.
The Association came to the support of residents at Edwin Nott House in Birds Hill, Letchworth GC, after a fire in a ground floor kitchen this afternoon that saw the evacuation of all 30 residents and staff with one woman being taken to hospital. Six people were treated for smoke inhalation.
"We have housing officers on site ensuring that the residents' welfare is paramount," said a spokesman for the Association.
"We have offered tea and coffee and will be providing a fish and chip supper tonight.
You may also want to watch:
"The gentleman whose flat the fire was in will be staying in the Edwin Nott guest room tonight and we will continue to support him as much as we can over the coming days and weeks."
Firefighters from Baldock, Hitchin and Stevenage and an ambulance crew were called to Edwin Nott House, at 2.16 after reports of the first floor being filled with smoke.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 9 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 10 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
A fire service spokesman said six firefighters wearing breath apparatus went into the building after initial reports a person was trapped and they led one woman to safety.
The building was declared safe an hour later and residents were able to return to their homes.