Francois Zoko: My decision to stay at Stevenage was simple
- Credit: Archant
Striker Francois Zoko ignored interest from other clubs to remain with Stevenage and help them climb off the bottom of the Sky Bet League 1 table.
The hitman has 13 goals to his name this season and this week extended his stay at the Lamex Stadium until the end of the season.
Of his decision to remain with the Hertfordshire club, despite still living at his Nottingham home and commuting parts of the week, he said: “First of all I’m happy here, the work I do with the team and the gaffer has been good for me.
“I had some interest from other clubs, but my decision was simple.
“Even though things are difficult with the table, I don’t have any doubt that we can do better.”
You may also want to watch:
Zoko opened the scoring on Saturday in Boro’s 3-2 FA Cup third round triumph over Doncaster Rovers.
The win set up a fourth round clash with Premier League side Everton on January 25, a clash that will be shown live on BT Sport.
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 4 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 5 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 6 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 9 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 10 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
Zoko revealed that his decision to stay with Stevenage was made prior to the Doncaster game and was not influenced by the club’s lucrative meeting with the Toffees.
“I knew a little before the game that I would stay,” he said.
“Sometimes you have a feeling about moving, but I don’t feel it.”
The Ivorian is sure Stevenage can take their positive cup form into the league, beginning away at Oldham Athletic on Saturday.
“We have started the year in a good way, we need to continue in this way, with a positive attitude and I think we can do something good there,” he said.
“It’s a big game for us, we need the points.
“I think everybody is there, no injuries, everybody is fit.
“The team is focussed and everybody wants to do something now.”