Four-year-old’s concern about Stevenage park litter helps drive council clean up
- Credit: Archant
A four-year-old boy’s concern for wildlife due to significant litter in a park’s pond has prompted the council to take action.
Peter Davison was feeding the ducks with his children at Stevenage Town Centre Gardens on Sunday when his four-year-old son, Tom, noticed dozens of bottles in the water and became concerned for the welfare of the wildlife.
Peter said: “It’s such a shame because the Town Centre Gardens were revamped a few years ago and are now a lovely space to enjoy with your family, but the rubbish in the pond is letting it down.
“You can see the tops of dozens of beer bottles in the water, as well as plastic bottles and bags floating on the surface.
“Thoughtless people are spoiling the area for others, and potentially endangering wildlife, but the council should be taking action to clear it up.
You may also want to watch:
“My son is only four and he could see the potential dangers for ducks and other wildlife, and it looks unsightly.”
Stevenage Town Centre Gardens benefited from a £1.7 million renovation in 2011, which included installing new play equipment, making improvements to the pond, landscaping, a new entrance, additional seating and a new sensory garden.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
Councillor John Gardner, Stevenage Borough Council’s executive member for environment and regeneration, said: “We will be clearing the pond at the Town Centre Gardens over the coming week.
“Time in our parks is a great way to spend a summer’s day, but we would ask all park-goers to use the bins on site or take their rubbish home with them.
“If you would like to report littering, then please visit www.stevenage.gov.uk or contact the Environmental Services team on 01438 242323.”