Four treated after fire at Hitchin school
- Credit: Archant
Four people were treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in a kitchen of a Hitchin school.
The fire started at Kingshott School, a prep school for three to 13 year olds on the A602, just after 10am.
It started when an electric oven caught alight and firefighters were called to the scene.
It was out by 10.25am and is being treated as accidental.
In total four adults were given oxygen at the scene by staff from the East of England Ambulance Service for smoke inhalation, but no-one was taken to hospital.
You may also want to watch:
UPDATE: The school’s headteacher Iain Gilmour said: “There was a small fire in the kitchen at Kingshott School today. The alarms were sounded and all children and staff followed well practised procedures and were evacuated safely.
“The emergency services attended the fire which had been contained using a fire blanket prior to evacuation. Everyone is safe and well. Four of the kitchen staff were examined for smoke inhalation as a precaution but have been given a clean bill of health.”
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 8 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 9 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 10 Stevenage 'miles better' but have to be more ruthless in front of goal says Revell