Four sentenced after mass brawl outside Hitchin nightclub which left police officer unconscious
- Credit: Archant
Four men have been sentenced following a large scale disturbance in a town centre a year ago.
Officers were called to Bliss nightclub in Sun Street in Hitchin on February 16 last year at around 11.15pm after four men – Roberto David, Isaac David, Emmanuel David and Arron Blackwood – were refused entry.
A member of the nightclub’s door staff was punched and kicked in the head by the men, suffering a fractured eye socket and severe bruising to his face and head.
A woman who tried to intervene was also slapped and drop kicked to the ground.
Officers tried to deal with the disorder but a number were injured by the men.
You may also want to watch:
One was left with a broken nose and was unconscious having been kicked and punched as he tried to arrest the men.
The four men initially pleaded not guilty but changed their pleas when appearing for trial on January 6.
- 1 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 6 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 10 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
All four appeared before Cambridge Crown Court on Friday to be sentenced.
Roberto David, 28, from Peppermint Road in Hitchin, pleaded guilty to violent disorder, two GBH offences, and a common assault. He was sentenced to five years in prison.
Isaac David, 26, from Chaucer Way in Hitchin, pleaded guilty to violent disorder, a GBH offence and an ABH offence. He was sentenced to four years in prison.
Emmanuel David, 24, also of Chaucer Way, pleaded guilty to violent disorder, assaulting a police officer and resisting arrest. He was sentenced to 18 months in prison.
Arron Blackwood, 23, from Bethan Mews in Coventry, pleaded guilty to violent disorder. He received a 12-month sentence, suspended for two years.
Detective constable Jeanette Walker from the local crime unit in Hitchin investigated the case.
She said: “The actions of these four men had a significant impact on a large number of innocent people and those officers who went to assist and uphold the law. The sentences reflect the seriousness of what they have done and the injuries the majority of the offenders have caused.
“I would like to reassure members of the public that the incidents which unfolded that night are not in any way a reflection of a typical night out in Hitchin. Work by officers in partnership with local businesses and other agencies in the town is ongoing to ensure those visiting the area for a night out can do so safely.”