Former Stevenage winger Mitchell Cole has died
Midfielder also spent time at Hitchin Town, Arlesey Town and Stotfold
FORMER Stevenage footballer Mitchell Cole has died.
The talented midfielder passed away in the early hours of Saturday, aged 27.
During his time with Boro Cole was part of the FA Trophy winning side of 2007 which beat Kidderminster Harriers 3-2 in the first competitive match at the new Wembley Stadium, a game in which Cole scored.
Cole made more than 140 appearances for the club he joined in 2007, having previously had spells at both Gray Athletic and Southend United.
You may also want to watch:
When he left Boro Cole joined Oxford United before retiring from the professional game because of a heart condition.
After leaving the U’s, he had brief spells at Stotfold, Hitchin Town, where he made 15 appearances scoring two goals, and Arlesey Town but he gave up the game after seeing Bolton Wanderers player Fabrice Muamba’s on-pitch collapse earlier this year.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 7 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 8 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Two jailed for conspiracy to supply cocaine
Mitchell Cole leaves behind his wife Charly, who is the sister of current Liverpool footballer Joe Cole, and two children.
Current and former Stevenage players have paid their respects on Twitter:
Mark Roberts: Devastated to hear the news that Mitchell Cole has passed away! Thoughts go out to his family at this terrible time.
Peter Vincenti: In total shock and gutted 2 hear the news about Mitch! What a true gent that will be sadly missed! Thoughts are with his family.
Barry Fuller: The day Mitchell won us the FA Trophy was a world class performance and was untouchable that day #greatmemories
Luke Foster: So very sad to hear about MitchCole. RIP pal my thoughts go out to his family.
Eddie Odhiambo: Heartbreaking. R.I.P Mitch, to a family man and mate.
Lawrie Wilson: Just heard the terrible news. My thoughts are with his family #RIPMitchellCole