Former Premier League footballer presents award to Stevenage school
- Credit: Archant
A former Premier League player made a surprise visit to a Stevenage school to present an award commending their sports curriculum.
Woolenwick Infant and Nursery School was visited by Darren Ward who was on hand to give the Sports Mark Gold accolade to pupils and staff.
Darren has played for clubs including Watford, Charlton and Crystal Palace. His career included an FA Cup final against Manchester United.
He delivered an insightful talk about his sporting achievements and what it took to become a professional footballer.
Darren also brought an important message for the children – the idea that they can achieve anything through perseverance and through a good education.
You may also want to watch:
The school’s inclusion co-ordinator Christina Anderson said: “Darren kindly gifted the school football memorabilia and souvenirs for our fundraising events.
“Thank you Darren for taking the time to visit, inspiring the children with your positive story and message.”
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 3 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 4 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 5 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 6 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 7 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 8 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 9 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 10 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit