Football’s the winner as a Hitchin school’s gala is a hit
- Credit: Archant
Football was the winner when a Hitchin school played host to a youth football gala – supported by around 100 parents and family wellwishers at the weekend.
Wilshere-Dacre Junior Academy on Fishponds Road offered its traditional warm welcome to visitors when it hosted the Hitchin School’s Football Gala on Saturday. The family-friendly tournament was played in the right spirit with Whitehill Junior School’s combined Year 5 and 6 football team winning the title, with Samuel Lucas receiving the schools knock out trophy before the event started.
The invincible Wilshere-Dacre Year 5 and 6 football team was awarded the Hitchin North League schools league shield for their rare feat in winning the league by remaining unbeaten all season.
They also beat the eventual winners of the gala 3-0, but didn’t amass enough points against other sides to win on the day.
However school head Sarah Smith told the Comet: “Well done to all who played, and supported the event.
You may also want to watch:
“Congratulations to our team for winning their league. We’re very proud of them.”
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 5 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 8 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 9 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 10 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go