Foodbank launches in Hitchin
- Credit: Archant
Volunteers have launched a foodbank to support people in crisis.
The Trussell Trust, which runs the country’s largest network of foodbanks, has been working with volunteers from in and around Hitchin to set up a foodbank to meet the need of the community.
The foodbank now has more than 40 volunteers who have been trained in giving information and listening to people who need help.
Hitchin volunteer Teresa said: “I volunteer one day a week because I wanted to give something back to my community.
A foodbank works through donations of non-perishable, in-date food to a centre.
You may also want to watch:
The food is only given to clients with foodbank vouchers, which are given out by professionals such as doctors, health visitors, social workers, Citizen Advice Bureau staff and police who have assessed their needs.
Foodbank clients bring their voucher to a foodbank centre where it can be redeemed for three days’ emergency food.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
The branch is open on Tuesdays and Fridays from 10am to midday at Hitchin Scout Hall, Church of Our Lady Immaculate and St Andrew in Nightingale Road, Hitchin.
The Letchworth GC Foodbank is based at the Mrs Howard Memorial Hall, Norton Way South, Letchworth GC. For enquiries for both the Letchworth GC and Hitchin foodbanks call 07580 184586 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on the Stevenage foodbank email email@example.com