Food drive launched to ’bolster’ Stevenage Food Bank’s stocks in final stretch before Christmas
- Credit: Archant
A food drive to support those in need this Christmas in Stevenage is being held on Monday at Asda.
The Stevenage Food Bank (SFB) is appealing to people to give as much as they can to help those who aren’t as fortunate this Christmas.
The group has already achieved its minimum target of 30 hampers but John Mead, Chairman of SFB, revealed that weekly donations only cover two thirds of what they give out.
He said: “We tend to have to dip into the reserves to buy UHT fruit juice, milk and tinned meals and we use food drives to bolster our stock.”
Asda have already hosted previous events for the food bank and the store’s community officer, Ann Bingley, said: “It’s absolutely amazing how much stuff people are willing to give.
“We put out a list of items for people to give and ask if people can give one off the list but some people come along and give whole bags of food.”
The Stevenage Food Bank is holding the event between 10am and 4pm on December 14 at the Asda store on Monkswood Way.
- 1 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 2 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 3 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 4 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 5 New housing to meet high demand in Stevenage
- 6 Pick up your new look Comet every Thursday
- 7 Closure order granted for Hitchin flat after anti-social behaviour
- 8 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 9 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 10 Woman sentenced after Aldi bottle smashing spree
For more details about donations email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01438 744800.