Food drive launched to ’bolster’ Stevenage Food Bank’s stocks in final stretch before Christmas
- Credit: Archant
A food drive to support those in need this Christmas in Stevenage is being held on Monday at Asda.
The Stevenage Food Bank (SFB) is appealing to people to give as much as they can to help those who aren’t as fortunate this Christmas.
The group has already achieved its minimum target of 30 hampers but John Mead, Chairman of SFB, revealed that weekly donations only cover two thirds of what they give out.
He said: “We tend to have to dip into the reserves to buy UHT fruit juice, milk and tinned meals and we use food drives to bolster our stock.”
Asda have already hosted previous events for the food bank and the store’s community officer, Ann Bingley, said: “It’s absolutely amazing how much stuff people are willing to give.
“We put out a list of items for people to give and ask if people can give one off the list but some people come along and give whole bags of food.”
The Stevenage Food Bank is holding the event between 10am and 4pm on December 14 at the Asda store on Monkswood Way.
- 1 Body found in wooded area of Stevenage
- 2 Residents show 'strong support' for TK Maxx relocation plans
- 3 Recap: Wire damage disrupts Hitchin and Peterborough trains
- 4 Recap: Thameslink passengers urged to delay travel due to 'incidents'
- 5 11-year-old left with facial injuries after Stevenage dog attack
- 6 Red panda Tilly gives birth to ‘miracle’ cub at Paradise Wildlife Park one month after passing of partner Nam Pang
- 7 Ashbottom Close 'altercation' leaves man in his 20s with serious injuries
- 8 Man allegedly assaulted and robbed woman in Stevenage park
- 9 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 10 Captain uses his head but Stevenage make win over Rochdale harder than it should have been
For more details about donations email email@example.com or call 01438 744800.