Fledgling group of enthusiastic singers making their voices heard in Letchworth
- Credit: Archant
A fledgling group of enthusiastic singers are making their voices heard in Letchworth.
Our Local Event – which was created earlier this year to bring communities together in song – held its second choir session at Mrs Howard Memorial Hall last week with choir leader Alex Holmes taking the reins for the first time.
The choir – which sang energetic renditions of Bob Dylan’s Make You Feel My Love and Elvis Presley’s Hound Dog last week – is aimed at people in retirement, but all ages and abilities are welcome.
Rachel Brown, who founded Our Local Event with her father, Mike, said: “Choir leader Alex Holmes led a fantastic session and a great time was had by all.
“Feedback has been very positive so we look forward to building up numbers and creating a social event which is the highlight of the week.
You may also want to watch:
“It was lovely to hear some harmony coming through at the first session and now we just want more voices to add to the group – male members are very welcome too.
“When I started planning the choir I wanted to create something positive for other locals to enjoy, and something I could enjoy being part of myself.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 4 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
“I found a lot of research that said singing was really great for the brain – for boosting all the happy hormones and making you feel good – and I feel that’s exactly what we did in our first session with Alex.
“So now I just want to spread the word and watch this grow.”
The singers meet every Wednesday at 12 noon to 1pm at the Mrs Howard Memorial Hall in Norton Way South. Our Local Event offers a free first taster and after that makes a weekly charge on a session by session basis.