Five charged in burglary crackdown operation
FIVE people have been arrested and charged in connection with a string of burglaries, some of which happened in Hitchin.
Last Sunday, officers from Beds and Herts executed a search warrant at an address in Luton, where they discovered goods suspected to be linked to the nine burglaries.
Five have been charged with conspiracy to commit burglary.
DCI Tannis Perks, who led on Operation Scorpion, said: “This operation demonstrates our determination to target burglars relentlessly and drive down crime.
“Burglary is low in Hertfordshire so it is important that we are also vigilant about criminals coming into the county. Where criminals are coming into Hertfordshire from other counties we are working with neighbouring forces to make the county a hostile place for them to operate.”
The people charged are:
• Ion Oprea, 38, of Havelock Road, Luton, who appeared at Hatfield Remand Court on November 16 and was remanded into custody.
- 1 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 2 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 3 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 4 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 5 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 6 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 7 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 8 Avid quizmaster raising funds for rape and sexual assault support service
- 9 Stevenage woman, 52, accused of wounding 91-year-old in her own home
- 10 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
• Stelica Ciobotaru, 45, of Hightown Road, Luton, who appeared at Hatfield Remand Court on November 16 and was remanded into custody.
• Radu Bogdan, 22, of Havelock Road, Luton, who appeared at Hatfield Remand Court on November 16 and was remanded into custody.
• Ianos Bencze, 21, of Havelock Road, Luton, who appeared at Hatfield Remand Court on November 16 and was remanded into custody.
• Maria Mitrofan, 24, of Hightown Road, Luton, who was bailed to return to St Albans Crown Court on November 21.