Stevenage building fire tackled
- Credit: Archant
Emergency crews tackled a large building fire in Stevenage last night, with one man taken to hospital with suspected smoke inhalation.
The fire, in Round Mead in the Poplars area of Stevenage, happened shortly after midnight – with several neighbours evacuated as a precaution. Some people escaped the fire unaided.
The blaze started in a flat in a two-storey building, with emergency crews called at about 12.15am. Six fire engines were at the scene, and firefighters used breathing apparatus as they fought the blaze.
A Herts police spokewoman said at 1.25am: “The fire is isolated to one property. However, a number of nearby residents have been evacuated as a safety precaution.
“One man has been taken to hospital with suspected smoke inhalation, but no-one is thought to have been seriously injured.”
You may also want to watch:
Firefighters had the fire out by 2.40am, and stayed at the scene for a while afterwards for damping down and salvage. Fire and rescue personnel came to the scene from Stevenage, Hitchin, Baldock & Letchworth, Welwyn, Welwyn Garden City, Ware and Hertford stations, as well as relief crews.
The fire has been deemed accidental. The Comet is awaiting further updates from the emergency services.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 3 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 4 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 5 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 6 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 9 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 10 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
It was a busy night for the fire service. In a single half-hour stretch from 7.40pm to 8.10pm, firefighters tackled a grass verge fire near Lytton Way in Stevenage, a suspected arson in the town’s Wellfield Wood, and another deliberate fire in woods off Walsworth Road in Hitchin.