Firefighters sound alarm

PUBLISHED: 14:01 31 August 2006 | UPDATED: 10:48 06 May 2010

Firefighters from Stevenage launch the smoke alarm campaign

Firefighters from Stevenage launch the smoke alarm campaign

ONE in every eight house fires attended by firefighters had a smoke alarm which failed to work due to flat or missing batteries. This is just one of the worrying facts which has inspired firefighters in Stevenage and North Herts to kick start a smoke al

ONE in every eight house fires attended by firefighters had a smoke alarm which failed to work due to flat or missing batteries.

This is just one of the worrying facts which has inspired firefighters in Stevenage and North Herts to kick start a smoke alarm campaign.

The message comes as part of the national Push the button not your luck! campaign.

Reseach shows that every day someone dies in a fire because they didn't have a working smoke alarm.

People are twice as likely to die in a fire if they don't have a working smoke alarm and over the past year there were 141 accidental property fires in Stevenage and North Herts.

Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service wants people to fit smoke alarms on every level of your home, check the battery once a week, replace the battery every 12 months and consider installing 10-year battery smoke alarms or mains-powered alarms.

Dave Stokes, station commander at Stevenage Fire Station, said: "I cannot stress enough that it only takes seconds to push the button to check your smoke alarm and by forgetting to do this you are putting your family at risk.

"Smoke alarms provide vital early warning signs when a fire breaks out, which is often during the night.

"The firefighters at your local station can visit people in their homes to carry out a free home fire safety check.

"Already 850 people in Stevenage and North Herts have had a home safety check carried out and we are keen to increase this.

"During the visit crews will ensure the property has a working smoke alarm, and, if needed, fit one free. They will also discuss fire safety in the home and what to do if a fire breaks out."

o For a home fire safety checks call 0800 587 3347.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Comet. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the The Comet