Firefighters put out Valentine’s Day chimney fire near Shefford
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters were called out on Valentine’s Day to put out a chimney fire near Shefford.
The fire in a house on the High Street in Upper Gravenhurst was reported soon after 3.15pm.
Firefighters used a stirrup pump and rods to put out the fire in the chimney, and used a thermal imaging camera to make sure it was completely out.
Thomas Warner, Prevention Support Manager at Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue, said: “Keeping your chimney clean and free of debris helps prevent any build-up of combustible deposits that could catch fire.
“During the summer, when chimneys aren’t used much, they can also become home to birds’ nests, cobwebs or other material that helps a chimney fire start.
“Birds’ nests and other debris can also block the flue, which means smoke and deadly carbon monoxide gas, released during burning, can seep back into the house and poison anyone there. “We recommend that you have a working carbon monoxide detector in any room with solid fuel appliance.”
Since October 2015, landlords have been legally required to fit carbon monoxide alarms in rooms containing solid fuel appliances.
- 1 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 2 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 3 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 4 Looking to local talent - Airbus star rises from apprentice to manager
- 5 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 6 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 7 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 8 Stevenage Iceland to permanently close today
- 9 Why were they not at school? - a look at Hitchin's historical absence reports
- 10 'He was a good friend of Knebworth' - Knebworth House pays tribute to Bat Out of Hell singer Meat Loaf