Firefighters battle blaze at Grade II-listed Stevenage pub
- Credit: Archant
FIREFIGHTERS who were called to a Grade II-listed pub battled an early morning blaze for almost an hour.
Two crews from Stevenage were called to an outbuilding attached to The White Lion pub in Stevenage High Street at about 2.20am on Wednesday after a fire broke out.
The blaze was declared out at 3.10am and the outbuilding, which is situated in the pub’s car park and is used as a general store, has since been cordoned off.
Firefighters left the scene just after 4am after making the area safe, and a spokesman for the fire service said the cause is believed to be accidental.
A spokesman for pub retailer Greene King, which owns the pub, said: “In the early hours of Wednesday, June 5, a small fire broke out in The White Lion’s external storage buildings. It was quickly dealt with by the emergency services and is not considered to be suspicious.
You may also want to watch:
“CCTV footage indicates the fire may have been caused by discarded smoking materials. Fortunately nobody was hurt and the pub is open for business as usual.”
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 10 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round