Firearms officers in arrest of Stevenage gunman
POLICE were called to a Stevenage park this morning (Wednesday) following reports of a man with a gun.
At about 10.30am, firearms officers headed to Fairlands Valley Park and the police helicopter was scrambled.
The suspect walked through the park and headed towards the Chells area of Stevenage, arriving at Stanley Road.
Police closed Drakes Drive, Mobbsbury Way and Stanley Road while the immediate area was made safe.
At 11.20am a 36-year-old man from Stevenage was arrested on suspicion of being in possession of an air rifle in public.
You may also want to watch:
He remains in custody for questioning.
Road closures have now been lifted.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 3 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 4 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 5 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed