Fire investigators still on scene after Stevenage house explosion last night as community rallies round
- Credit: Archant
Fire investigators remain on the scene after a house explosion in Stevenage last night, as the community rallies round to help those affected.
These pictures show the utter devastation caused by an explosion which occurred at a house in Cavell Walk at about 9.20pm last night.
Fire crews were on the scene within five minutes of receiving the call, and the blaze was brought under control by 2am.
Neighbours have been shocked by the incident, which has left a man in hospital with serious injuries – believed to be burns.
It is understood the man was not inside the house when the explosion happened, but he had gone in to rescue his dogs.
He was rescued by firefighters after being semi-covered under rubble. Nobody else was hurt.
The cause of the fire is being treated as ‘unexplained’, but a possible gas leak is a line of enquiry.
- 1 Magpas Air Ambulance lands in Letchworth amid 'medical emergency'
- 2 Funeral of retired Stevenage school teacher hailed 'a legend'
- 3 Two-storey factory catches fire in Letchworth
- 4 Old Town Live organisers 'overwhelmed by response'
- 5 Stevenage PE teacher's charity run after leg amputation
- 6 9 things to do on a day trip to Hitchin, Hertfordshire
- 7 Summer Sand pit opens in Stevenage
- 8 'Expect delays' during week-long gas works at Stevenage roundabout
- 9 Assault victim left with punctured lung after Hitchin 'scuffle'
- 10 Man treated for broken jaw following Hitchin assault
As the devastation caused by the explosion becomes apparent, members of the community are already rallying round to help those affected.
A Facebook group has been set up to co-ordinate an effort to help, with more than 200 people liking the page so far. Click here to access the page.
Members of the public are asked to stay clear of Cavell Walk while the emergency services continue to work at the scene.