Fire crews come to aid of person trapped by smoke in 3am Stevenage kitchen fire

Fire crews attended the scene at Durham Road in Stevenage just after 3am this morning.

Fire crews attended the scene at Durham Road in Stevenage just after 3am this morning. - Credit: Archant

Firefighters came to the aid of a person trapped by smoke when a fire broke out in a Stevenage kitchen in the early hours of this morning.

The blaze, in a two-storey block of flats in Durham Road, started at about 3am. A fire control operator gave safety advice to the caller, who was unable to get out of the building after smoke made a communal area impassable.

Two fire crews from Stevenage and one from Hitchin worked together to put out the fire by 3.45am.

All eight tenants in the building were checked over by the ambulance service, which sent an ambulance and a paramedic car.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter