Fire engines called to Lister after smoke triggers automatic alarm
- Credit: East and North Hertfordshire NHS
Two fire engines were called to Stevenage's Lister Hospital this morning, after an automatic fire alarm activated in the basement.
There was no fire and crews identified the problem as an overheating battery, which had caused some smoke.
The area - under the Emergency Department - has been confirmed as safe and the hospital is operating as normal.
Julie Smith, chief operating officer at East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, which runs the hospital, said: “This morning an incident occurred in the basement under Lister Hospital’s emergency department where a set of acid batteries overheated.
"The fire brigade visited the hospital this morning and have confirmed that the area is safe and that we are able to operate as normal.
You may also want to watch:
"We’d like to thank both patients and staff for their patience and co-operation.”
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 5 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 8 Halloween trail set for Letchworth this half term
- 9 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket