Fire at Hitchin bakery on Christmas Day

FIRE services were scrambled to a Hitchin bakery in the early hours of Christmas Day morning, after a number of food products were left accidentally in the oven.

Firefighters had to force entry to Greggs bakery, in the High Street, after smoke set off the fire alarm.

The fire was dealt with by 4.18am. There was no damage or any injuries.

A Greggs spokesman said: “This was a human error. A small number of products were left in an oven which was cooling down after the shop closed on Christmas Eve.

“Over a period of time the alarm activated automatically. There was no damage to the shop which is trading normally.”


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter