Film crews set up outside Stevenage pub for new mods movie
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Scooters, classic cars and a film crew have congregated in the car park of a Stevenage pub this afternoon, where a scene for the Quadrophenia-inspired film, To Be Someone, is being shot.
Traffic has been brought to a standstill outside the Royal Oak in Walkern Road, as the normally busy road welcomes mods and rockers to the venue.
Stevenage band, The Mynd Set, took to their Facebook page earlier today to let fans know they would be performing an impromtu gig at the pub, and that those going along could have the chance to be an extra in a movie.
The new film, To Be Someone - inspired by the 1979 cult film Quadrophenia, which stars Phil Daniels, Leslie Ash and Ray Winstone - is based on a book written by Pete Meadows and will be mainly shot in Stevenage.
Mr Meadows, who also wrote the screenplay, described the movie as "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels meets Snatch - a gangster film based around mod culture set in 2019".
You may also want to watch:
"I was born in Stevenage, I've lived in Stevenage all my life, and it's been great to see the book come alive here," he said.
Scenes have also been shot at Barnwell School, and filming will continue at Church Lane on Thursday afternoon.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 4 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 8 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 9 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 10 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
Paul Gould, landlord at the Royal Oak, said it was "a real buzz" to have a film crew in the pub.
"Pete Meadows is actually a regular and wrote many of the scenes right here in the corner of the pub," he said. "Pete asked me if he could shoot here, as he's a big fan of our music, and a number of our punters have been cast as extras. It's great for the pub."
The film comes 40 years since the release of Quadrophenia, which cast and crew have celebrated with a reunion.
The crew were also spotted filming in Rockingham Way in Stevenage earlier today.
To Be Someone will feature Quadrophenia stars Toyah Willcox and Leslie Ash, and is set for cinema release next spring.