Fighting the scammers
PEOPLE are being urged to hit back against fraudsters. They are asked to take action and help to stamp out scams.
Stevenage and North Herts Citizens Advice Bureaux need help with their campaign to foil scammers whose dodgy dealings cost people millions of pounds every year.
The CABs are urging people to take part in a quick, simple, anonymous survey to find out what scammers are up to locally.
The survey lists common scams such as bogus job ads, phantom flats, fake lottery wins, cold callers asking for up-front fees, services that fail to materialise, unsuitable loans, debt management and claims management.
Some fraudsters manage to extract bank card details from the people they target and go on to help themselves to money from their accounts.
You may also want to watch:
Sally Salisbury, North Herts Bureau manager, said: “Fraudulent offers or deals – scams –cause untold misery and distress. Some of the scammers are very cunning and can catch out even the most experienced consumers.”
Marian Hurle, Stevenage Bureau manager who has written to town MP Stephen McPartland asking for his support, said: “We want to do something to foil the scammers. We urge people to take part in our survey, share their own experiences, and join forces with us to beat scams and fraud.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 7 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
With your help we can inform Trading Standards about the sharp practices hitting local people, providing the information needed to crack down effectively on scammers.”
To take part in the survey, go to www.citizensadvice.org/campaigns or visit your local CAB office at Swingate House on Danestrete, Stevenage or 66-68 Leys Avenue in Letchworth GC.