Fighting breaks out between rival fans in Stevenage v Luton Town local derby
- Credit: Archant
Fighting broke out near to the end of the local derby between Stevenage and Luton Town at the Lamex this afternoon.
The trouble occurred after Luton striker Paul Benson was sent off for a challenge on Boro’s Tom Conlon with five minutes to go – which then saw around seven or eight travelling Hatters fans run onto the pitch in an attempt to fight the home support.
A supporter present in the West Stand told the Comet: “After the foul one man came onto the pitch from the away end and ran towards the standing section known as the East Terrace which houses Boro fans.
“The man then leapt over the hoarding and threw some punches at a Stevenage fan who responded and threw some back.
“Then around seven or eight other fans came on from the away end called the Austin Stand before the police and stewards tried to stop them.”
You may also want to watch:
A Luton fan in the Austin Stand told the Comet: “I think some of our lads got carried away.
“There’s nothing wrong with a bit of passion but you should channel that into supporting the team.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 5 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 6 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 7 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 8 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 9 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
“Hooligans have no place in football in 2015.”
The match ended 0-0.
More to follow.