Fighter pilot lands for talk
A former Battle of Britain fighter pilot John Ellacombe landed at David s Bookshop in Letchworth GC recently. The WWII veteran from Middlesex gave a talk in honour of Steve Darlow s book Five of the Few and Steve, 40, from Stotfold, also discussed his boo
A former Battle of Britain fighter pilot John Ellacombe landed at David's Bookshop in Letchworth GC recently.
The WWII veteran from Middlesex gave a talk in honour of Steve Darlow's book Five of the Few and Steve, 40, from Stotfold, also discussed his book at the event.
Churchill's 'Few' are remembered as the heroes of the sky and five RAF airmen recounted their stories to the local author. In the book a Beaufighter radar operator talks of being involved in shooting down a German aircraft.
He said: "He took a vertical dive, struck the ground and exploded with a shower of incendiaries. I felt like a child with a new toy. I had at last proved myself, but for some reason I suddenly felt a little sad."
You may also want to watch:
Five of the Few is not just about the experiences of these men during 1940 to 1941, but also about other air campaigns during which they recall aerial combats, ground attack operations, promotions and command responsibilities.
It tells the story of youth maturing, through fear, heroism, aspiration and reflection, however not all make it through safely to the end of the war.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 4 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 5 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 6 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 7 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 8 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 9 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision