Fight to save Stevenage bus service
A fight is on to save a bus service users say is necessary to get them around Stevenage.
Transport company Centrebus has stopped the Stevenage SB10 Saturday service from Bedwell to the Old Town, which takes in the bus and rail stations, citing financial considerations including fuel and insurance price rises.
The company, which pulled the service last weekend, applied for �4,000 funding from Herts County Council to keep it in operation.
David Cullen, Bedwell borough councillor, said: “The continuation of the SB10 depends on this funding, yet the county council has failed to meet the costs, leading to the decision to scrap the route – despite having a significant budget surplus.
“Many users of our public transport hubs will find it more difficult to travel at weekends if the SB10 ceases to run.”
David West of the Bus Users Group for Stevenage said elderly people who rely on the service have been left “very upset” by the decision which will leave some stops without any service at all on a Saturday.
“For those in the Longcroft area it is quite a trek for them to return from the town centre and it’s all uphill,” he added.
- 1 Magpas Air Ambulance lands in Letchworth amid 'medical emergency'
- 2 Stevenage PE teacher's charity run after leg amputation
- 3 9 things to do on a day trip to Hitchin, Hertfordshire
- 4 'Expect delays' during week-long gas works at Stevenage roundabout
- 5 Man treated for broken jaw following Hitchin assault
- 6 Summer Sand pit opens in Stevenage
- 7 Old Town Live organisers 'overwhelmed by response'
- 8 Dog owner's grass seed warning after pet paralysed
- 9 Hertfordshire 'extreme heat' amber warning as temperature set to soar
- 10 Tottenham U21s coming back to Stevenage for 2022-2023 season
A spokesman at County Hall said discussions are still ongoing with Centrebus and other parties to see if a way can be found to continue to fund the route.
He added: “Herts County Council is in discussions to put up some money that will reinstate the funding prior to being cut. Further details will be announced when they have been confirmed.”