Fight to save Stevenage bus service
A fight is on to save a bus service users say is necessary to get them around Stevenage.
Transport company Centrebus has stopped the Stevenage SB10 Saturday service from Bedwell to the Old Town, which takes in the bus and rail stations, citing financial considerations including fuel and insurance price rises.
The company, which pulled the service last weekend, applied for �4,000 funding from Herts County Council to keep it in operation.
David Cullen, Bedwell borough councillor, said: “The continuation of the SB10 depends on this funding, yet the county council has failed to meet the costs, leading to the decision to scrap the route – despite having a significant budget surplus.
“Many users of our public transport hubs will find it more difficult to travel at weekends if the SB10 ceases to run.”
You may also want to watch:
David West of the Bus Users Group for Stevenage said elderly people who rely on the service have been left “very upset” by the decision which will leave some stops without any service at all on a Saturday.
“For those in the Longcroft area it is quite a trek for them to return from the town centre and it’s all uphill,” he added.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 3 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 4 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 5 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 Council approves new measures to get to net zero by 2030
- 8 'Black history should be celebrated every month, not just in October'
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
A spokesman at County Hall said discussions are still ongoing with Centrebus and other parties to see if a way can be found to continue to fund the route.
He added: “Herts County Council is in discussions to put up some money that will reinstate the funding prior to being cut. Further details will be announced when they have been confirmed.”