FGR happy with underdog tag
Forest Green Rovers midfielder Alex Lawless is happy to go into tomorrow s FA Trophy quarter final against Stevenage Boro as underdogs. Rovers have been at their best in cup competitions this season, most notably going down to a thrilling 4-3 defeat to D
Forest Green Rovers midfielder Alex Lawless is happy to go into tomorrow's FA Trophy quarter final against Stevenage Boro as underdogs.
Rovers have been at their best in cup competitions this season, most notably going down to a thrilling 4-3 defeat to Derby County in the FA Cup third round, and Lawless hopes they can spring a surprise against a Boro side unbeaten in their last 14 games.
"It is the first time we have played someone in our league, so this is the hardest one but I think from previous seasons the underdog tag has helped us so it's not a bad thing at all," he told The Gloucestershire Gazette.
"Too many things throughout the season have affected our league form, and in terms of the FA Cup there's a lot of motivation when you're playing against the likes of Derby. We were the underdogs which worked in our favour."
You may also want to watch:
Lawless is only too aware he is only three matches away from a showpiece occasion at Wembley in May and he admitted the pain would almost be too much to bear if FGR were to go out at this stage.
"It's a massive ambition for me - I haven't got anywhere near Wembley before," he said.
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 7 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 8 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 9 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus lockdown restrictions still go ahead?
- 10 Do you recognise these people?
"Every time we've played in the Trophy we talk about being a couple of games away from Wembley. It would be such a shame to let it go now so everyone is up for it.