‘Father figure, guide and mentor’ – Funeral for Letchworth Garden City Eagles FC founder Vince Paige this Friday
- Credit: Archant
Letchworth Garden City Eagles FC founder and life president Vince Paige is to receive a fond send-off from the community at his funeral this Friday.
Vince – who formed the Eagles to benefit children in 1979, and latterly served as the club’s child welfare officer – suddenly died at the age of 73 on February 3, following a heart attack.
A funeral procession for ‘Mr Eagles’ will start from his beloved Pixmore Playing Fields, off Baldock Road, at 12.30pm on Friday, with a service at Harwood Park Crematorium in Stevenage’s Watton Road beginning at 1.15pm.
Club development officer Gary Williams said: “Everyone is welcome back to the Eagles clubhouse to celebrate this truly wonderful man’s life and his dedication to caring and nurturing of others.
“As well as parenting two children of his own – Clare and Chris – he and his wife Chrissie fostered many other children, many of whom have gone on to lead happy family lives after such a difficult start.
“During his time as the warden at the Briar Patch Children’s Home – which actually gave rise to the club in order to give the children an interest in sport – he acted as father figure, guide and mentor.
“As a club that was founded and united by one man who gave so much of his time and life to helping others, we’re looking to raise funds in his memory to go towards his chosen charities – the James Harpur Player Support Fund, Garden House Hospice Care and Herts Air Ambulance – as well as any investment in the club.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 3 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 4 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 5 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 6 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 7 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 8 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 9 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 10 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
“Vince’s family have requested no flowers but contributions to help raise funds for the many good causes that were close to Vince’s heart.
“However, we believe we also owe it to Vince and his family to help contribute towards his funeral in some capacity. Therefore a proportion of the funds will be offered to the family to cover some of the funeral costs, or to be allocated entirely at their discretion.”
If you’d like to make a donation, you can contribute at justgiving.com/crowdfunding/vincepaigeLGCE.
Alternatively contact the club treasurer Simon Efford directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or via letchwortheagles.org.uk/youth-contacts-and-teams.