Fast-growing racquet sport inspires new club in Letchworth
- Credit: Archant
A new racquet sport club has been formed at Letchworth’s North Herts Leisure Centre with sessions starting last week.
The sport that is described as combination of badminton, tennis and table tennis – called Pickleball – has grown fast throughout Europe and is now coming to Letchworth.
Pickleball is played on a badminton court, with a net similar to those used in tennis with table-tennis style bats.
The rules are simple and the game is easy for beginners to learn, but can develop into a quick, fast-paced, competitive game for experienced players.
This new club follows a successful trial session earlier this month, which saw close to 40 people take part. Active Letchworth is now supporting two volunteers to create a club in the town.
You may also want to watch:
Active Letchworth Partnership Lead Helen Newman said: “Pickleball is a sport that can be played by all ages and a variety of different skill levels, so I was excited when I was approached to bring an open day to Letchworth.
“The session proved very popular, and I’m looking forward to supporting the community in creating a more regular club in the town.”
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 4 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 5 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 6 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 9 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 10 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
Each session costs £2 on a pay-as-you-play basis, with all of the equipment supplied and instructors available at the sessions to help teaching the rules and techniques of the game.
Sessions started on Friday, November 24, and continue every Friday between 10am and 12pm at North Herts Leisure Centre. There will also be an evening group taking place with a day and time to be confirmed in the near future.
To find out more about Pickleball, visit pickleball.org.uk or you can get in touch on 01462 476048 for more information on the Letchworth sessions.