Farm is the pick of the crop
A FARM has won a major award for its environmental action. Offley Hoo Farm has won this year s Chiltern Environment Award in recognition of its efforts to conserve wildlife and involve the public in its work. The farm, nearly 2,000 acres in the Chiltern
A FARM has won a major award for its environmental action.
Offley Hoo Farm has won this year's Chiltern Environment Award in recognition of its efforts to conserve wildlife and involve the public in its work.
The farm, nearly 2,000 acres in the Chilterns, grows crops and rears native breeds of sheep, cattle and pigs.
Farmer Jon Birchall said: "After nearly three years of hard work in setting up our extensive livestock system it is now possible to see the rewards."
You may also want to watch:
Kath Daly of the Chilterns Conservation Board (CCB) said: "We were very impressed by Jon's commitment to conservation and to running events on the farm so the public can come see what's happening."
The awards were launched this year by the CCB to recognise the good work being carried out by individuals, groups and organisations in looking after the Chilterns Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 3 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 7 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 10 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
And the farm may soon be a double winner, as it has also been named as a finalist in the eastern region Countryside Alliance Awards to be announced in December.