‘Fantastic neighbours’ from Stevenage nominated for this year’s Community Awards
- Credit: Archant
A COUPLE who are ‘fantastic neighbours’ have been been nominated in this year’s Comet Community Awards for their kindness and community work.
Phil Gow and Terre Leach of Lavender Way, Hitchin, regularly check-on and care for an elderly neighbour, inviting her for meals and social events.
Terre also looked after a neighbour’s baby every school day for a year while his mother took her five-year-old to school.
Chris Scott, who nominated the couple, said: “She has campaigned tirelessly to register our local green as a village green and it is down to her hard work that it is close to completion.
“When I had a problem at my house she not only let the plumber in but stayed until the job was done, even dropping my keys back in the evening.”
You may also want to watch:
The couple regularly give neighbours lifts to hospital and the airport without asking for anything in return.
On top of all of this, they throw open their house on Christmas Day so neighbours can drop in.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 4 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 5 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 8 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 9 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 10 Nobel School celebrates 60 years
Chris added: “Terre and Phil are absolutely fantastic neighbours. I cannot commend them highly enough.”
The Comet Community Awards aim to recognise inspirational people, and this year’s 12 award categories include Role Model of the Year, Charity Champion, Good Neighbour, Young Achiever, Teacher of the Year, and Great and Green.
The deadline for entry is Friday, April 26, at 5pm.
Finalists for the 2013 awards will be invited to a ceremony at Icknield Centre, Letchworth GC, on Friday, May 17, where winners in each category will be crowned.
If there’s someone you think deserves to be recognised, visit www.cometcommunityawards.co.uk and complete the form.