Fans react to Hitchin Football Club ground battle
HITCHIN Football Club fans have spoken out about the future of their club, after it was revealed by The Comet last week that an application has been submitted to reclassify the land that the stadium is on - a move which could result in it being developed on.
The Top Field stadium on Fishponds Road is currently classed as common land and is owned by The Hitchin Cow Commoners, an unelected group of trustees.
But an application has been put in on behalf of Dunmore Developments Ltd to deregister the land, under a relatively new act which came into force four years ago.
One fan, who did not wish to be named, said: “Any development here could be bad for the club.
“Fans are worried that the ground would be moved, and that would be a shame as this is a good location.”
You may also want to watch:
Another supporter told The Comet: “An announcement needs to be made so that we know what is going on.”
But one club follower seemed unconcerned by the application. He said: “There’s been speculation and rumours surrounding the ground for years.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 4 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 5 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 6 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 7 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 8 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Nobel School celebrates 60 years
“We’ve heard it all before and I don’t see how this is any different.”
The deadline has now passed for comments on the application to be made to Herts County Council, which is the responsible authority for maintaining the registers of common land.
It still remains unclear when a decision will be made. An independent inspector will be allocated to the case when the time comes.